- Get rid of flammables paint, petrol, gas cylinders.
- Clear out unwanted goods hold a garage sale.
- Empty fuel from mowers, clippers, trimmers, and other gas engine powered tools.
- Donate your unwanted clothes to charities and similar organizations.
- Separate books disposable, family reading, valuable.
- Check all electrical goods will they work in the new home?
- Start making up your change of address list.
- Arrange to have mail forwarded.
- Agree on termination date for electricity, gas, oil, telephone and other main suppliers.
- If you are taking electrical goods such as a stereo, see if you still have their original boxes.
- Clean your rugs
- Compile your documents such as marriage and birth certificates, driving licenses and so on.
- If you have children, separate cherished toys to travel with you.
- Make sure that your pet’s documentations and vaccinations are up to date.
- Shops, schools, theatre, life styles its never too early to find out about your new home.
- If your new home is not ready, you need to arrange temporary storage.
- Start running down freezer stocks.
- Arrange your finances close or transfer bank accounts, savings accounts, safe deposit boxes and so on, if necessary.
- Use only strong, corrugated cartons with covers.
- The added protection of mover-provided cartons can provide damage that results from the use of poor-quality packing materials.
- Moving companies can provide you with moving boxes for almost every item such as mattresses, clothing, and mirrors.
- Your alternative is to ask for boxes thrown away by your grocery or liquor store.
*WARNING: Watch out for insect and insects eggs such as cockroaches because they can hide in food boxes. Be mindful when getting boxes from food stores.
- Save old newspapers so you can use it as a cushion when packing. However, remember that ink may rub off and stain clothing or other items.
Here’s a list packing supplies that you will need:
- Foam peanuts, styrofoam pellets or “popcorn.”
- Plastic bags and labels for easy identification.
- Bubble wrap rolls for figurines and fragile items.
- Tissue or craft paper for delicate packing jobs.
- Packaging tape and strong twine for sealing cartons.
- Labels and markers for identifying contents of cartons.
- Scissors and a sharp knife.
- Notebook and pencil for carton identification log.